Monday, February 25, 2013

Intern 8

Had a strange lesson today with CH.  She has low vision is learning how to use a cane.  

Thursdays at the center are "Professional Development" days so the students are expected to dress up.  Last Thursday my student came to class wearing dressy open-toed sandals (students have to wear closed-toe shoes during mobility lessons), which I didn't realize until halfway through the lesson.  I decided to let it pass for the day but told CH that next time I would have to send her back to her room to change shoes.  

So before CH's class with me today, I saw her on campus wearing closed-toe shoes.  Oh good!  I thought to myself.  Well, bizarrely enough, CH showed up to my class after lunch and announced that she was wearing flip-flops, before I even noticed.  So of course I asked her to go back to her room to change shoes.  She just sat there.  Me: Ok, we'll practice your cane skills in the dorm hallway anyways, so let's go back to your room so you can change shoes.  Finally she moves.

Back in the dorm, CH heads into her room but turns and tells me, "I'm not changing my shoes or coming back out of my room once I go in."  Huh?  Really?  I have to babysit you through this?  This girl was quiet when she first came to the center, but less than a week ago she had been bubbly and chatty with me.  

I'm thinking something must be going on her in personal life.  So I followed CH, sat down, and asked her what's going on.  What I really wanted to know was, is this something to do with mobility?  The cane?  The center?  Or something else entirely?  Or maybe even me?  She wouldn't talk (something she had no problem with last week!) but finally I convinced her to get up, change her shoes, and we headed out to practice her cane skills.  

To be honest, I think part of the problem is that her vision is so good that she doesn't see the point of learning to use the cane.  The cane is really for her to use at night, but she doesn't want to do blindfold training.  I'm planning on her receiving night mobility instruction but I've been told it might not be an option by the time she's done working with me, due to the time change and sunset. 

Either way, I hope tomorrow goes more smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment