Yesterday and today were much better days. Steve came back, to my relief, which meant that I had one less student and don't have to do the new student's intake assessment after all. I was able to get some of my projects done, and since I'm staying here for the weekend that gives me time to finish things too.
Most of my students are now working on street crossings. Some are just learning about intersection layouts and others are learning when to cross. They may not be making stellar progress, but they are learning and developing new skills every day. I think the biggest challenge for all of them is going to be confidence, which will come with time and practice (I hope).
During the staff meeting yesterday, I found out that CH has been having issues in all of her classes (tardiness, absences, refusing to do work, etc). This is the student that was coming to my class wearing flip-flips and not bringing her cane. I'll admit that it was a relief to hear that I'm not the only one having problems with her, but I'm not sure what the endgame will be. CH was telling me that she was fine having a cane, but I never saw her using it and she was begrudgingly participating in lessons.
I talked to Steve about CH yesterday, and he said that if she didn't want to use the cane, then fine, have her give it back (her vision really isn't bad at all - I've seen in her in all kinds of environments and she's never bumped into anything or tripped on anything. However, she says her vision is worse at night).
So today I decided to lay it on the table with CH. I asked if she even wanted to take mobility, and she said that she liked having this class. The point I was trying to make is that I don't want to waste her time or my time, and the longer she is in mobility, the longer other students will have to wait to take this class.
Then I asked CH whether or not she really wanted to learn to use the cane, and if not, she might as well return it to me. Well return it she did, without any kind of hesitation whatsoever. I have mixed feelings about this, but feel like I have to respect her decision. And it's nice to not feel like I'm dragging her kicking and screaming. Ultimately, we'll be working on some street crossings and bus travel.
On another note, we're doing a community outing to Bike Week tomorrow. Wish us luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment