TM (low vision) is working on street crossings. Today I had her close her eyes and point to the direction that the cars were traveling in. We also talked about cardinal directions, which is something she struggles with. We finished with setting up an intersection on a Chang board and talking about when you should cross the street (with parallel traffic). Her anxiety level seemed to be less today too.
DT (low vision and uses a guide dog) is working on the Trekker Breeze. We successfully added an address as a landmark and I showed him how to rename and delete landmarks. Much smoother lesson today! My new student JD (who is totally blind) is still a bit of a challenge. He has such great mobility skills but I was able to find out that he wants to work on big intersections. Deciding how much time he needs in mobility instruction will be the tricky part.
Just like in student teaching, the part that I'm enjoying the most about this so far is the "lightbulb" moments my students have. It's so great to see when they're figuring something out and building their confidence.
No comments:
Post a Comment